We’ve all been tempted by quick fix diets, weight loss inventions and other quick, easy weight loss schemes. I know I have. The truth is, the foundation to successful weight watching is a healthy diet and lifestyle, combined with exercise.
This is easier said than done with today’s fast paced, constantly on the go lifestyle that most of us live. It sure seems easier to run through a fast food drive through for lunch or grab a mocha latte for a pick me up. I’m guilty of doing this myself. But in the long run, you’ll save time and energy by simply having a healthy diet and lifestyle plus exercising 30 minutes a day.
The pants tell the truth. How many of you are in the same size you were a year or two ago? Many of us aren’t. The statistics about obesity in America are staggering. Six out of 10 adults Americans are over weight and 17% of our children are overweight or obese.
We need to make real, long term lifestyle changes to win the battle against the bulging waistline.
So how do you make changes to your lifestyle that will result in healthy living? Here are 5 simple tips to watch your waistline:
1. Be consistent with eating and exercise choices – consistency is the key to getting the results you want. To keep your body at the weight you want, you’ll need to eat better and be more active for your whole life.
2. Enjoy healthier foods – reach for fruits, veggies and balanced meals rather than the fast food value meal of a mocha latte. These are high in fat, sugar and calories, but low in nutritional value and can quickly add inches to your waistline.
3. Get active, stay active – exercise is critical to maintaining a healthy weight. Strive for a balance between a healthy diet and lifestyle plus physical activity. Your waistline and your energy levels will both thank you.
4. Change your lifestyle – take it slow and smart. Make subtle changes rather than drastic ones. An all or nothing approach may work short term, but you’ll end up frustrating yourself and make it more difficult to stay with a healthy lifestyle.
5. Be patient – we all want instant results, but the reality is that watching your waistline takes work and time. Recognize the small achievements. They will add up over time.
Remember, the foundation to successful weight watching is a healthy diet and lifestyle, combined with exercise. If you can do that and stick to it, you will be well on your way to a healthier, happier life.